Monday, March 11, 2013

Bihm Family Portrait (Pencil Sketch)

The Bihm Family

 Inspiration photo
 


A family picture taken back in the day when my dad could still wear short pants.(LOL) My father, Rev. F.W. Bihm Sr (Standing on the far Right) no longer has that head full of blond hair and in fact has very little hair at all. (LOVE you daddy!) My grandfather is wearing a cool fedora while holding his daughter Jean. The other two little boys are (R-L) Joe Jr and Arnold. The only two still living that are pictured here are my father and my Aunt Jean.

This is actually a bad copy (or a copy of a copy) of the original picture which was obviously damaged at some point. (Notice the big yellow blob in the upper right corner) When the picture was taken the light was in the worse possible place (the sun was in their eyes) which caused the subjects to squent (not the most pleasant of facial expressions)... not to mention the blurry features with little or no details to speak of, but I still love this picture, and its one of our family favorites. All that being said it made this photograph a real challenge to draw.

The Sketch



 This is the finished drawing... and as always I could pick it apart for every flaw...but in the end I must admit to being happy with the finished sketch. The truth is I'm not into photo-realism because as an artist it’s more about interpretation. If you want an exact copy go buy a copy machine and get busy. (LOL)

 
This is a gift to my Aunt Jean~ Happy Mothers' Day!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment